Reference

Next Level News Articles about the banning of the Marilyn Manson Show

 

 
MANSON BANNED IN COW TOWN!

Calgary, July 8, 1997
Calgary fans of shock-rocker Marilyn Manson might not get the chance to see Manson and his band on its latest tour through North America after all. After booking a July 25 date at the Max Bell Centre in Calgary, Manson's tour has hit a snag with local politicians and religious groups. In a press conference on July 8, city Alderman Ray Clark stated that he had been contacted by many concerned parents and religious groups about Manson's proposed concert.

After admitting that he did not know of Manson before being contacted by these groups, Clark stated that he looked at the information provided by these groups about the inappropriateness of Manson's show. Armed with this information, Clark then approached the Board of Directors of the Max Bell Centre. The Board of Directors, led by former owner of the Calgary Stampeders Football Club, Larry Ryckman, looked at the material provided by Clark and declared that Manson would not be allowed to play in Max Bell Centre. Manson, said Clark, "is not the kind of entertainment we like to see", a sentiment echoed by Ryckman at the press conference. "Manson has been banned in a number of other cities," said Ryckman before suggesting that if Manson's stage show has been banned in other centers that it should be banned in Calgary as well.

One local television station reported Ryckman as saying that ticket holders could seek refunds from the place where they purchased their tickets but that Max Bell Centre would assume no responsibility for any refunds. For their part, it has been reported that Manson's booking agent stated that much of the reports about the stage show is the product of rumor and innuendo. With a signed contract and a deposit cheque cashed by Max Bell Centre what is certain is that Manson's lawyers will be performing in Calgary even if Manson cannot.

The Calgary Herald reported on July 3, 1997 about the beginning of a protest campaign against Florida-based shock-rocker Marilyn Manson. "My concern is the message he's bringing for our young people," said Troy Yanosik of the campsing. "It's a message of rebellion, hatred of authority, hatred of parents and immorality."

In short, its rock-n'-roll.

"There's nothing to be worried about," replied Paul Haagenson of Universal Concerts in Vancouver. "Just open your eyes and go see a show." People who opposed the concert, suggested Haagenson, "are probably the same people who still can't deal with seeing reruns of Elvis shaking his pelvis on Ed Sullivan."

While some concerned citizens contacted their local Members of Parliament. One MP, Reform's Grant Hill said "we live in a free country....People, if they disagree with a group like this, should flat out not go. I don't think making a big fuss about it is the proper thing to do because it gets kids more curious." If parents and opponents of Manson were concerned about Manson's stage antics, Hill suggested that they should "provide their kids with a better alternative and shut these guys down by having nobody come. I'm not for censoring this type of thing at all."

When local Alderman Ray Clark was asked to comment, he said that he would like to halt the concert, it didn't appear as though City Council could ban Manson. Clark did not rule out alternative courses of action.

As of July 3, Max Bell Centre was holding firm in its decision to book Manson. "We have a business to run," said Glen Greztky. "The only one who can cancel the concert is me and I'm not about to do that - only if someone wants to pay my tax bill."

- Next Level Reporter Paul Chastko

 

 
CALGARY TELLS MANSON "NO WAY!" - WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO FREE SPEECH?

Calgary, July 10, 1997
Another twist in the tale of the Marilyn Manson's proposed concert took place yesterday. Mark Norman, vice-president of Universal Concerts, is pursuing a court injunction to ensure that the July 25 concert will go ahead as planned but is also making preparations to move the concert to an alternative venue if the injunction falls through.

In the meantime, word out of the provincial capital is that Edmonton Mayor Bill Smith will decide today whether or not Manson will be able to perform at the city's convention centre on July 26. Smith said Wednesday that phone lines at his office and at the city's Citizen Action Centre were jammed by more than 100 calls opposing the show.

Clark said that he has been deluged with calls supporting his stand against Manson's show. "There have been a tremendous number of supportive calls. This kind of stuff we don't want our youngsters to see."

But the reality is that Clark and his supporters aren't just concerned with deciding what their youngsters can see. Rather, they would prefer to decide for an entire city what is, and is not, appropriate.

- Next Level Reporter Paul Chastko

 

 
MANSON UPDATE

Calgary, July 11, 1997
Although Marilyn Manson's July 25 date in Calgary may be resting in legal limbo, the Florida-based band will not be shut out of Alberta altogether. Edmonton officials ruled yesterday that despite a public outcry against Manson, the July 26 show will proceed as planned. "We signed a contract," said Rick LeLacheur of Economic Development Edmonton, "and we will live by our contractual obligations." LeLacheur added that "if people don't like what the message is, I say don't go."

Meanwhile it was a defiant Larry Ryckman who met with Calgary media yesterday. Ryckman said that if a judge forces the concert to go ahead as planned, he will impose extraordinarily tight security on the audience and show. "Two can play at this game. There will be no tolerance for drugs, there will be no tolerance for profanity, there will be no tolerance for violence. We will shut that concert down in a nanosecond if it does go on and any of the things occur that we have fear of," said Ryckman, citing claims the band has torn up religious books, abused animals and defecated on stage at other venues.

"We observe very strict security codes," countered Mark Norman of Universal Concerts. "We're not some flake company here. "I've seen the show," said an angry Norman. "If somebody was doing the stuff these guys are saying, I wouldn't be doing it. They're not." Pointing to the decision reached in Edmonton, Norman said that "they have a signed concert and you know what they said? The [band's] not doing anything illegal."

It was also revealed yesterday that Ryckman is two weeks behind on paying city taxes on Max Bell Arena which he owns. Ryckman promised that the $100,000 levy would be paid by July 15.

- Next Level Reporter Paul Chastko


Tracks Of Creation Issue #12 (August / September July 1997)
Copyright ©1997 dis-Emi-A TM
Comments/Suggestions/Complaints Disclaimer/Notice